Saturday, March 29, 2008
mann of the moment.
following on very closely from the last post about the current zeitgiest, here is a brand new set from another person us ssgs have been talking a lot about: marcel dettmann. since the last time i wrote, my opinion of him has only increased further. as far as his productions go, i've been very impressed with what he has done so far, and am confident the best is yet to come. at the moment we are seeing the fully fledged arrival of a really distinctive sound signature roughly centred around berghain. dettmann and klock are perhaps the most instantly recognisable names, but to this should be added T++, shed, norman nodge and marcel fengler, amongst others. if some people are reacting to minimal by going deep into house, this is the other direction: a (re)turn to techno.
beyond dettmann's productions, it is really his djing that has grabbed me. in his sets you can hear that this is someone who is at the very top of his game. his sound is tough and driving, without ever getting cold or alienating. my sense is that dettmann's star is on the rise, and this guy is really going to explode over the next 12 months, especially after the release of his new berghain mix cd on ostgut, which is due mid year. if you want further evidence, have a look at his latest chart below and listen to this new marcel detmman mix, care of mixmag.ru.
marcel dettmann april 2008 chart
1. Shed - Warped Mind [Ostgut Ton]
2. Tadeo - Reflection Nebula 056N (Substance remix) [Apnea]
3. Planetary Assault Systems - Kat [Mote-Evolver]
4. Redshape - Plonk [Present]
5. Peverelist - Junktion [Tectonic Recordings]
6. Tama Sumo & Prosumer - Brothers, Sisters [Ostgut Ton]
7. Radio Slave - Tantakatan [Rekids]
8. Norman Nodge - Native Rhythm [Ostgut Ton]
9. Ben Klock - 003 [Klockworks]
10. Pinch - 136 Trek [Punch Drunk]
for those who want even more of the berghain sounds, the latest berlin mitte institut show featured guests marcel dettmann and marcel fengler. you can download the whole recording (all 338mbs) and watch videos of it here.